New report shows business leaders’ concerns over attacks President Trump and Congress have leveled at America’s courts
Washington, DC, March 7, 2019 – Business Forward today released a report, Business Leaders on an Independent Judiciary, outlining concerns from business leaders across the country about attacks on the judiciary by President Trump and some in Congress.
“The President has attacked individual judges, the 9th Circuit, the principal of judicial oversight, the Department of Justice, and the FBI – and many in Congress have encouraged it,” said Jim Doyle, President of Business Forward. “Business leaders depend on the rule of law for hiring, contracts, and foreign trade. It’s particularly important for small business owners, who depend on courts to leveling the playing field for them in negotiations with larger companies.”
This report outlining the importance of an independent and respected judiciary is particularly timely. President Trump’s recent controversial announcement of a national emergency in order to build a wall between the United States and Mexico is likely to be litigated in federal court.
“While business leaders can abide politicians questioning a judge’s reasoning, they draw the line at questioning that judge’s authority,” said Doyle.
As Gustavo Segredo, President and CEO of GES Solutions LLC in Freeport, NY, put it: “Our checks and balances system requires that all three branches be independent and strong. The alternative would kill our economy and our nation.”
475 business leaders submitted personal statements about America’s courts. Personal statements from business leaders followed five themes:
- Our independent, fair and impartial courts are integral to our system of checks & balances. Approximately a quarter of comments cited the importance of an independent judiciary to the U.S. system of government under the Constitution.
- Our courts are the foundation of a robust economic system. Nearly one in five comments cited the importance of an independent judiciary to the U.S. economy, including our reputation around the world as a fair, business-friendly, and competitive place to invest.
- Our courts level the playing field for small businesses. Nearly three in 10 comments noted that courts protect small businesses from larger companies and from unreasonable government interference.
- Respecting the rule of law limits corruption. Nearly half of our business leaders’ comments noted the importance of an independent judiciary to limit corruption in government.
- Protecting the courts is urgent because of the actions of this Administration & Congress. Almost a third of business leaders noted that the risk of corruption and unreasonable interference is higher today than in previous Administrations.
ABOUT BUSINESS FORWARD
With the help of more than 60 of America’s most respected companies, Business Forward is making it easier for more than 100,000 business leaders from across America to advise Washington on how to create jobs and accelerate our economy. Business Forward is active in over 125 cities and works with more than 650 mayors, governors, members of Congress, and senior Administration officials.
Business Forward recently launched its Solutions 2020 initiative, an ambitious effort to help local business leaders brief presidential candidates, their campaign staff, and policymakers likely to shape the 2020 race.